The Numismatic Association of Victoria was founded in 1946 and its aims and activities have largely remained unchanged over the years. Members are invited to attend our monthly meetings and receive our quarterly journal.
A Timeline of the NAV
The Numismatic Society of Victoria is Founded
February 16, 1914
In 1914 a small group of interested numismatists met to form the Numismatic Society of Victoria, the very first organised numismatic group in Victoria.
The First Meeting
February 24, 1914
The Numismatic Society of Victoria holds it’s first meeting.
The last meeting of the Numismatic Society of Victoria
February 4, 1929
The N.S.V holds it’s last monthly meeting.
Affiliation with Historical Society of Victoria
July 1, 1931
After declining membership (since 1928) it was decided to affiliate with the Historical Society of Victoria
Disaffiliation from Historial Society
March 24, 1944
The Numismatic Society of Victoria disaffiliates from the Historical Society of Victoria
The NAV is Founded
May 17, 1946
Numismatic Society of Victoria (NAV) was founded in 1946. The NAV held it’s first meeting, by the end of first year membership stood at 90. Meetings were held at the Victorian Railways institute followed by Kurrajong House on Collins Street.
First Medallion Struck
January 1, 1949
In 1949 the NAV struck it’s first commemorative medallion for the 100th anniversary of the first Australian copper token.
Meeting Place Moved
July 1, 1950
Meetings moved to the National Gallery on Latrobe street.
January 1, 1955
Mid 1950’s saw membership decline and then pickup in the 60’s as Australia moved towards a big change in numismatics.
February 14, 1966
1966 saw Australia change to decimal currency and numismatic interest peaked with society membership rising steadily. Towards the changeover meetings were held twice a month.
December 31, 1967
By 1967 membership peaked at 302 due to the decimal changeover and interest in the new currency.
May 1, 1971
May 1971 celebrated the 25th anniversary of the NAV with a BBQ and dinner at the then Presidents house Mr Frank Heard.
April 5, 1977
The 500th meeting was attended by approximately 500 members and visitors –a record for the association.
January 1, 1990
In 1990 meetings moved to the State Government Building, Treasury Place.
January 1, 1994
Meetings were held in the Australian Postal Institute building on Lonsdale street.
May 17, 1996
On the 50th anniversary of the NAV in 1996 two members received awards for 50 years continuous membership -Ian Young and Don Wicks.
Meetings Moved to The Celtic Club
May 1, 1997
The May 1997 meeting of the NAV was moved to the current location, the Celtic Club.
May 17, 2006
April 19, 2013
The NAV held it’s 1,000th meeting!