Do you have a numismatic event to share? Email us your event details and we’ll feature it here for you.
Please note: While all information is believed to be correct at time of listing, please contact the organisers to confirm details before setting off to visit an event listed here.
Fri16Mar2018West Plaza Hotel, 110 Wakefield Street, Wellington, New Zealand
Mowbray Collectables Coin, Banknote & Medal Auction
With pleasure we present our March 2018 auction featuring 719 lots totalling $377,640.
There is something for everyone, with strength in gold coins, Islamic coins, British and European historic medals, Swiss shooting medals and thalers, higher grade British coins from Elizabeth I to Victoria, New Zealand decimal banknotes, tokens, errors and predecimal coins.
We introduce live online bidding, through our website and Auction Mobility, a Boston company. International bidders should note that grading accords with standards for each market, being more conservative than US grading companies for most world coins.
We extend the catalogue with some interesting gold and other jewellery, watches and antiques and numismatic books.
Particularly exciting opportunities include:
- The unique 1895 New Zealand 5-pounds pink postal note in EF with an estimate of $17,500, one of just four known, issued to be a banknote.
- The famous 1772/3 Resolution & Adventure medal in platina, estimated at $5000, and available to all bidders with its northern hemisphere provenance, held by one family for a century.
- British silver coins ranging from hammered to Crowns from 1662 including George III, George IV, 1845, 1847 Gothic, Victoria Jubilee and Old Head and Edward VII, in higher grades.
- Sovereigns from 1817 onwards including near complete dates from 1817 to 1825 with the rarely seen 1823 and 1825. GB 1887 2 Pounds in EF and AU extend the sovereign range.
- 69 hammered Islamic coin lots, including 41 gold, from AH 60 (AD 680) onwards. These are great value, mostly in the $200 to $600 range, based on both bullion and rarity. Further milled Islamic coins, including Ottoman, Egyptian, Saudi Arabian & Moroccan are in the World sections.
- More than 200 gold coins and medals in total.
- Military medals number 26 lots.
- 64 banknote lots include 6 NZ trading banknotes, 3 Lefeaux notes from a relative of Lefeaux’s, Reserve Bank decimal issues, with first and scarcer last prefixes, star notes and the Hardie $1 to $100 same number set and World accumulations.
- A Waitangi proof set and single Crown.
- Fully UNC NZ early predecimals and NZ error coins including three great brockages, wrong planchets, mules and a rare undated 10 cent 2011 proof set.
- New Zealand and Australia tokens include many higher grade, scarcer examples with 4 different Lipman Levy types, AS Wilson, Forsaith, Morris Marks, Gourlay and Anderson.
- The NZ 1879 pattern penny in AU, estimated at $5500.
- World coins range over affordable accumulations to Canadian, Chinese & Hawaii $1s, a Russian 1842 platinum 3 roubles, Tongan 1967 Palladium set and a small ancient selection.