WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
- Melbourne Museum Displays Rare System Mint 1887 £5 ProofTo mark the recent sale in the US of one of only three known specimens of a Sydney Mint Proof £5, the Melbourne Museum have put their example on display. The coin sold by Heritage Auctions for […]
- Stamp & Coin Dealer opens retail store in Melbourne’s Eastern SuburbsMelbourne based 21st Century Auctions have opened a new retail and trade counter selling coins, stamps, postcards, catalogues, albums and accessories. They’re based at Suite 1, 1174 Burwood […]
- IAG to sell Klaus Ford estate in 2021Those of you that have attended ANDA fairs over the years will be familiar with these distinctive holders. Queensland based IAG have recently announced that they are offering the estate of Melbourne […]
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat18Nov2017Sun19Nov201710:00 amTorrens Parade Ground, Victoria Drive, Adelaide, SA
Adelaide Coin & Banknote Expo
NSSA Coin, Banknote, Stamp & Collectable Expo Adelaide
The show will be held in the heart of Adelaide at the Torrens Parade Ground Hall where there is FREE parking.
There will be an auction held Saturday afternoon - could be some interesting and quirky surprises! Light refreshments will also be available to purchase. There is also plenty of accommodations in close proximity ranging from cheap and cheerful to the extravagant for those needing to stay overnight.
The best news is that ENTRY IS FREE, so you have more…..money…..to spend on…….money!
If you have any coins, banknotes, stamps, collectables or associated ephemera and you’d like to see what they are worth then pop into the coin expo. Dealers will be buying and selling coins, banknotes and stamps as well as offering advice and providing valuations.
During the show there will be a raffle, series of great prizes on offer! Tickets $1 each.
Local and interstate dealers will be attending as well as people who just want to sell stuff! Attendees include Barrie Newman of the Adelaide Mint, Canberra Numisco, David Figg, Downies Melbourne, Edlins of Canberra, Eric Van Kruyssen, I.S Wright, Joe Peplinski, John Watson from Melbourne, Kevin Keepence, Steele Waterman Melbourne, The Purple Penny/The Australian Coin Collecting Blog, Trevor Wilkin Banknotes, Andrew Crellin, Sovereign Antiques and Ye Olde Coin Co.
Same weekend and right next door to the Adelaide Christmas Pageant...take the kids, then drop in to the expo 🙂
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.