WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Book on Numismatic Author Dr. Arthur Andrews[…]
- The Mystery of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway MedallionListed in Carlisle as M/6 the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway commemorative medallion in an interesting and somewhat familiar piece. Interesting in that many sources, including Carlisle and […]
- The End of an EraAs I opened my latest Status International auction catalogue I was dismayed to learn that after over 40 years I.S.Wright are literally closing shop in Melbourne. The shop at 241 Lonsdale Street […]
- Castlemaine’s New Currency is Down to EarthThe Victorian town of Castlemaine has launched its own currency to support local businesses. The Silver Wattle coins are made from local clay and are designed by local artists to reflect the […]
- Western Money Fair Set to Return in 2022The successful Western Money fair is set to return in May of this year. The event will alternate between the Werribee Masonic Hall (just down the road from the previous venue) and the Geelong […]
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat18Nov2017Sun19Nov201710:00 amTorrens Parade Ground, Victoria Drive, Adelaide, SA
Adelaide Coin & Banknote Expo
NSSA Coin, Banknote, Stamp & Collectable Expo Adelaide
The show will be held in the heart of Adelaide at the Torrens Parade Ground Hall where there is FREE parking.
There will be an auction held Saturday afternoon - could be some interesting and quirky surprises! Light refreshments will also be available to purchase. There is also plenty of accommodations in close proximity ranging from cheap and cheerful to the extravagant for those needing to stay overnight.
The best news is that ENTRY IS FREE, so you have more…..money…..to spend on…….money!
If you have any coins, banknotes, stamps, collectables or associated ephemera and you’d like to see what they are worth then pop into the coin expo. Dealers will be buying and selling coins, banknotes and stamps as well as offering advice and providing valuations.
During the show there will be a raffle, series of great prizes on offer! Tickets $1 each.
Local and interstate dealers will be attending as well as people who just want to sell stuff! Attendees include Barrie Newman of the Adelaide Mint, Canberra Numisco, David Figg, Downies Melbourne, Edlins of Canberra, Eric Van Kruyssen, I.S Wright, Joe Peplinski, John Watson from Melbourne, Kevin Keepence, Steele Waterman Melbourne, The Purple Penny/The Australian Coin Collecting Blog, Trevor Wilkin Banknotes, Andrew Crellin, Sovereign Antiques and Ye Olde Coin Co.
Same weekend and right next door to the Adelaide Christmas Pageant...take the kids, then drop in to the expo 🙂
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.