WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Book on Numismatic Author Dr. Arthur Andrews[…]
- The Mystery of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway MedallionListed in Carlisle as M/6 the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway commemorative medallion is an interesting and somewhat familiar piece. Interesting in that many sources, including Carlisle and […]
- The End of an EraAs I opened my latest Status International auction catalogue I was dismayed to learn that after over 40 years I.S.Wright are literally closing shop in Melbourne. The shop at 241 Lonsdale Street […]
- Castlemaine’s New Currency is Down to EarthThe Victorian town of Castlemaine has launched its own currency to support local businesses. The Silver Wattle coins are made from local clay and are designed by local artists to reflect the […]
- Western Money Fair Set to Return in 2022The successful Western Money fair is set to return in May of this year. The event will alternate between the Werribee Masonic Hall (just down the road from the previous venue) and the Geelong […]
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
Next Numismatic Event
Fri10Aug20187:30 pmQuarry Hill Community Hall, 53 Hamlet St. Quarry Hill, VIC
Bendigo Coin & Collectables Club Meeting
Members meet at the Quarry Hill Community Hall, 53 Hamlet St. Quarry Hill each Friday Fortnight starting at 7.30 pm.
Meetings include Club Agenda, Reporting on Events and What's New, Show and Tell, which provides excellent information on a wide range of items, Lucky Door Prizes draw followed by Supper.
After Supper an Auction of Collectable Items from Members and Non-Members takes place. This Auction usually has 30 to 60 lots each meeting. There is also a Trading Table for Members who have items for sale. Occasionally a Guest Speaker is invited to give a talk to Members relating to the Collecting and history of Numismatics and other types of Collectables. There is always help and information available from other Club Members and from the Library.
Come and enjoy a friendly relaxed evening.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.