WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Wed08Aug201810:30 - 11:15Royal Australian Mint, Denison St., Canberra, ACT
Free Talk - "Minting Classic Coins and Australia’s First Coins"The Royal Australian Mint is hosting a public talk on Wednesday 8 August and members of the NAV are invited. In Minting Classic Coins and Australia’s First Coins, Dr Rick Williams will discuss the impressions stamped on coins from Southern Italy in the 6th and 5th centuries BC and how their minting relates to Australia’s first coins - the holey dollar and dumps made in New South Wales in 1813. How do they compare? Can we draw links between the methods used to make them?When: Wednesday 8 August 2018 at 10.30am to 11.15amWhere: Education Room at the Royal Australian Mint, Denison Street, Deakin, ACT Link: https://www.facebook.
com/events/188736565127645/The event is free, but we encourage NAV members to register via https://www.eventbrite. com.au/e/minting-classic- coins-and-australias-first- coins-a-comparison-tickets- 47757747709.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.