WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Melbourne Based Dealer – Shaw’s Collectable Coins and Notes[…]
- New Book – Chasing the Dragon: The Vergulde Draeck Story[…]
- Queen Hands Out Maundy Money at St. George’s Chapel[…]
- Rare US 1943 copper coin fetches a pretty penny at auction“What makes this so exciting is that it’s the only time ever in history when the discovery coin for this piece has been available for sale. In other words, this was the first one that was […]
- Changes to Australia’s heritage protection lawAustralia’s new Underwater Cultural Heritage Act 2018 (Underwater Heritage Act) will come into force on 1 July 2019 and will replace the current Historic Shipwrecks Act 1976 (Historic Shipwrecks […]
- NAV AGM and Bumper Book SaleThe NAV is kicking off 2019 with its AGM on Friday 15th February at the Celtic Club offices, 420-424 William St., West Melbourne. In addition to election of office bearers, and setting the direction […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat13Oct201809:00 - 15:00Geelong West Town Hall, 153b Pakington Street, Geelong West, 3218, VIC
Geelong Stamp & Coin FairHosted by the combined Philatelic and Numismatic societies of Geelong, the fair showcases a number of displays from both clubs, and also brings together over a dozen dealers of stamps and/or coins. Lucky door prizes, along with other giveaways are also featured during the day. There is plenty of room for mobility aids and also lots of seating in an area reserved for free light refreshments.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.