WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Book on Numismatic Author Dr. Arthur Andrews[…]
- The Mystery of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway MedallionListed in Carlisle as M/6 the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway commemorative medallion is an interesting and somewhat familiar piece. Interesting in that many sources, including Carlisle and […]
- The End of an EraAs I opened my latest Status International auction catalogue I was dismayed to learn that after over 40 years I.S.Wright are literally closing shop in Melbourne. The shop at 241 Lonsdale Street […]
- Castlemaine’s New Currency is Down to EarthThe Victorian town of Castlemaine has launched its own currency to support local businesses. The Silver Wattle coins are made from local clay and are designed by local artists to reflect the […]
- Western Money Fair Set to Return in 2022The successful Western Money fair is set to return in May of this year. The event will alternate between the Werribee Masonic Hall (just down the road from the previous venue) and the Geelong […]
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat20Oct201809:00 - 15:00Uniting Church, Park Lane, Traralgon, VIC, Australia
Traralgon Annual Stamp & Coin FairThe Latrobe Valley Philatelic Society will hold its Annual Stamp and Coin Fair in Traralgon on the 20th October, 2018. With Local and Melbourne dealers in attendance, this is a great opportunity to purchase stamps, coins and albums, etc. There will also be two quite unrelated stamp displays - animals and WW1 - that members have worked on throughout the year. Free valuations can also be given. Refreshments will also be available.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.