WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
- Melbourne Museum Displays Rare System Mint 1887 £5 ProofTo mark the recent sale in the US of one of only three known specimens of a Sydney Mint Proof £5, the Melbourne Museum have put their example on display. The coin sold by Heritage Auctions for […]
- Stamp & Coin Dealer opens retail store in Melbourne’s Eastern SuburbsMelbourne based 21st Century Auctions have opened a new retail and trade counter selling coins, stamps, postcards, catalogues, albums and accessories. They’re based at Suite 1, 1174 Burwood […]
- IAG to sell Klaus Ford estate in 2021Those of you that have attended ANDA fairs over the years will be familiar with these distinctive holders. Queensland based IAG have recently announced that they are offering the estate of Melbourne […]
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat24Nov201809:30 - 17:00Kernot Hall, Princes Drive, Morwell, VIC
23rd Gippsland Antiques and Collectables FairThis weekend event is now in its 23nd year and has grown into a major event in Gippsland with a huge range of antiques and collectables on display and for sale. There will be something for everyone including historical displays, collections to view and plenty of bargains to be purchased, with over 50 local and interstate dealers in attendance. Free antique appraisals will be available on both days, so if you have something old and interesting bring it a long for Ross Roycroft to appraise for you. This Fair is a great opportunity for collectors to get together and socialise over the whole weekend or just drop in for an hour or so to look at items of interest. Full catering will be available. The Fair is organised by the Gippsland Antique Bottles and Collectables Club Inc.Enquiries to Wayne on 51748050Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gippslandantiques
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.