WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat23Nov2019Sun24Nov2019Kernot Hall, Princess Drive, Morwell, VIC
24th Gippsland Antiques and Collectables Fair 2019
This weekend event is now in its 24th year and has grown into a major event in Gippsland with a huge range of antiques and collectables on display and for sale. There will be something for everyone including historical displays, collections to view and plenty of bargains to be purchased, with over 50 local and interstate dealers in attendance. Free antique appraisals will be available on both days, so if you have something old and interesting bring it a long for Ross Roycroft to appraise for you. This Fair is a great opportunity for collectors to get together and socialize over the whole weekend or just drop in for an hour or so to look at items of interest. Full catering will be available. The Fair is organised by the Gippsland Antique Bottles and Collectables Club Inc.
The Fair is open on Saturday 23rd November from 9:30 am until 5:00 pm and Sunday 24th November 9:30 am until 2:00 pm at Kernot Hall, Princess Drive, Morwell.
Enquiries to Wayne on 03 51748050
Items for sale include:
• English china
• Vintage Radios
• Antique Bottles
• Records & music memorabilia
• Gemstones & fossils
• Australian Pottery,
• Carnival Glass
• Old Tools
• Vintage Jewellery
• Small Antique Furniture
• and many more Antiques, Collectable's & Old Wares.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.