WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat16Nov2019Sun17Nov2019From 10:00amTorrens Parade Ground Hall. Corner Victoria Drive & King William Rd, Adelaide City (opposite Adelaide Oval).
NSSA Coin, Banknote, Stamp & Collectable Expo
The Numismatic Society of South Australia (NSSA) is presenting the 4th COIN & BANKNOTE EXPO on 16th & 17th November 2019 at the Drill Hall on Torrens Parade Ground, corner King William Road & Victoria Drive, Adelaide (opposite Adelaide Oval)
Saturday 16th 10am – 5pm, Sunday 17th 10am – 4pm
Free entry, Wheelchair access, Refreshments and Raffle.
Parking available on the Parade Ground
Local & Interstate Dealers will be in attendance, buying, selling and giving free valuations.
An auction will be held at 2.30pm on 16th November. See their website from 9th November for a list of items. All lots can be viewed at the Expo from 10am until 2pm on Saturday the 16th.
For further information phone 08 8165 3446 noon-7pm
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.