WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Book on Numismatic Author Dr. Arthur Andrews[…]
- The Mystery of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway MedallionListed in Carlisle as M/6 the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway commemorative medallion is an interesting and somewhat familiar piece. Interesting in that many sources, including Carlisle and […]
- The End of an EraAs I opened my latest Status International auction catalogue I was dismayed to learn that after over 40 years I.S.Wright are literally closing shop in Melbourne. The shop at 241 Lonsdale Street […]
- Castlemaine’s New Currency is Down to EarthThe Victorian town of Castlemaine has launched its own currency to support local businesses. The Silver Wattle coins are made from local clay and are designed by local artists to reflect the […]
- Western Money Fair Set to Return in 2022The successful Western Money fair is set to return in May of this year. The event will alternate between the Werribee Masonic Hall (just down the road from the previous venue) and the Geelong […]
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
Next Numismatic Event
Sat16Nov2019Sun17Nov2019From 10:00amTorrens Parade Ground Hall. Corner Victoria Drive & King William Rd, Adelaide City (opposite Adelaide Oval).
NSSA Coin, Banknote, Stamp & Collectable Expo
The Numismatic Society of South Australia (NSSA) is presenting the 4th COIN & BANKNOTE EXPO on 16th & 17th November 2019 at the Drill Hall on Torrens Parade Ground, corner King William Road & Victoria Drive, Adelaide (opposite Adelaide Oval)
Saturday 16th 10am – 5pm, Sunday 17th 10am – 4pm
Free entry, Wheelchair access, Refreshments and Raffle.
Parking available on the Parade Ground
Local & Interstate Dealers will be in attendance, buying, selling and giving free valuations.
An auction will be held at 2.30pm on 16th November. See their website from 9th November for a list of items. All lots can be viewed at the Expo from 10am until 2pm on Saturday the 16th.
For further information phone 08 8165 3446 noon-7pm
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.