WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Numismatic Society issues “Hibernation” NewsletterThe Melbourne Numismatic Society has issued its first newsletter in some considerable time. As the Society has been unable to meet since the COVID-19 restrictions imposed in Victoria in March, this […]
- Victorian Numismatic Newsletter #3 AvailableThe third issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter (VNN) is now available. While we may be staying at home for some time to come this newsletter takes us on a trip from Hong Kong to Cuba the long […]
- July Meeting ReportThe July meeting of the NAV was held on 17th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 3 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. This didn’t stop a record number of nineteen attendees sharing their latest […]
- Second Edition on Irish Gunmoney PublishedPhil Timmins has announced a second edition of his book on the fascinating numismatic area of Irish Gunmoney. The book incorporates new features that were not included in the first edition. This […]
- Victorian Numismatic Newsletter #2Issue 2 of our occasional newsletter is available to download here. […]
- Dr. John M. ChapmanIt’s with much sadness that we report the passing of Dr. John M. Chapman FRNS, one of the foremost collectors of Australiana of the 20th Century. Dr. Chapman, a former dental specialist, was a […]
Next Numismatic Event
Tue31Mar2020Fri03Apr2020Premier's Room, Hotel InterContinental
Noble Numismatics Sale 123
Update from Noble Numismatics: 11:32am AEDT, Tuesday 25 March
These are unprecedented times and it is crucial that we all act with the best interests to protect the health of our families, colleagues and communities.
Therefore, in accordance with Federal Government guidelines on gatherings, we advise that our auction is now online only.
We continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving situation and will advise all clients should any further changes be necessary.
As a precautionary note, we anticipate that the volume of online bids will lengthen session duration.
Our opinion of the market remains very positive and this is supported by strong results in recent overseas auctions, including record prices at a major auction last week.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time and look forward to your participation at the auction. Finally, we wish to express our support to all our colleagues and families in the wider numismatic community who have been affected by this crisis.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.