WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Tue31Mar2020Fri03Apr2020Premier's Room, Hotel InterContinental
Noble Numismatics Sale 123
Update from Noble Numismatics: 11:32am AEDT, Tuesday 25 March
These are unprecedented times and it is crucial that we all act with the best interests to protect the health of our families, colleagues and communities.
Therefore, in accordance with Federal Government guidelines on gatherings, we advise that our auction is now online only.
We continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving situation and will advise all clients should any further changes be necessary.
As a precautionary note, we anticipate that the volume of online bids will lengthen session duration.
Our opinion of the market remains very positive and this is supported by strong results in recent overseas auctions, including record prices at a major auction last week.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time and look forward to your participation at the auction. Finally, we wish to express our support to all our colleagues and families in the wider numismatic community who have been affected by this crisis.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.