WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- New Book on Numismatic Author Dr. Arthur Andrews[…]
- The Mystery of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway MedallionListed in Carlisle as M/6 the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway commemorative medallion in an interesting and somewhat familiar piece. Interesting in that many sources, including Carlisle and […]
- The End of an EraAs I opened my latest Status International auction catalogue I was dismayed to learn that after over 40 years I.S.Wright are literally closing shop in Melbourne. The shop at 241 Lonsdale Street […]
- Castlemaine’s New Currency is Down to EarthThe Victorian town of Castlemaine has launched its own currency to support local businesses. The Silver Wattle coins are made from local clay and are designed by local artists to reflect the […]
- Western Money Fair Set to Return in 2022The successful Western Money fair is set to return in May of this year. The event will alternate between the Werribee Masonic Hall (just down the road from the previous venue) and the Geelong […]
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
Next Numismatic Event
Fri19Feb20217:30 pmRoyal Historical Society of Victoria, 239 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000
Numismatic Association of Victoria 2021 AGM
A New Year and a change of venue. Our first meeting of 2021 will be held at the Officer's Mess at the Royal Historical Society (RHSV) of Victoria. The entrance is on William Street, opposite Flagstaff Gardens, not far from our previous venue. Members will be on hand to guide attendees to the new venue. We'll also have a Zoom meeting, with details forwarded to members prior to the event.
This meeting is subject to the following COVID protocols:
- If you are feeling unwell or are waiting the results of a COVID test please do not attend
- Maximum of 27 people in the Officers’ Mess at any one time (this is based on the 4 sq metre rule per person)
- Name and contact details will be recorded for potential contact tracing
- Please use hand sanitiser – this will be supplied.
- Remember that other people use the Officers’ Mess so you should wipe down common surfaces before using them (wipes provided)
- Please wear masks if you cannot maintain your 1.5m distance from others in the room
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.