WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Fri14Jul2017Mon17Jul2017Auckland, New Zealand
New Zealand - Decimal 50 Conference
DECIMAL 50 Conference 14 – 17 July 2017, Auckland, New Zealand
Here is the full registration material for the biggest New Zealand numismatic event of 2017 – the Numismatic Society of Auckland and Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand DECIMAL 50 conference celebrating the 50th anniversary of decimal currency in New Zealand.
Please come and enjoy:
- A numismatic tour of Auckland
- A delegates only Fair with free table space for all delegates
- Public Fair
- Book launches
- 20 Speakers, including Ursula Kampmann (Germany), Jack Harwood (USA), Graeme Wheeler (Governor, Reserve Bank of New Zealand) and other Australian and New Zealand speakers
- The opportunity to order the special conference medals and overprint banknotes being produced
Even if you have already registered interest we now need to know the events you are coming to and receive payments now to cover the fees and expenses for the conference so please return the registration form (see below) to the Registrar:
The Registrar, 7 Pierce Road Milford Auckland 0620
Email is preferred as your primary contact.
Don’t forget to book your accommodation early too – New Zealand has high tourist numbers at present and there will also be a major influx of visitors for the British Lions rugby tour over the period.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.