WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
- October/November Issue of VNN Available OnlineThe fifth issue of the Victorian Numismatic Newsletter is now available by selecting the cover image. In this issue we cover Egyptian Banknotes of World War II as well as all the usual local and […]
- October 2020 Meeting ReportThe October 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 16th as a Zoom meeting due to continuing COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. 21 attendees shared their latest acquisitions and […]
- September 2020 Meeting ReportThe September 2020 meeting of the NAV was held on the evening of Friday 18th as a Zoom meeting due to Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions in Melbourne. Nineteen attendees shared their latest acquisitions […]
- New Edition of Leon Morell’s NZ Medallion Catalogue available through RNSNZPart 1 of the 3rd edition of Leon Morel’s catalogue of NZ commemorative medals 1865-1940 is now available from the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand’s website. This section covers […]
Next Numismatic Event
Fri21Jul20177:45 pmCeltic Club, 320 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
NAV Ray Jewell Memorial Meeting
Ray Jewell was born in Elsternwick, Melbourne in August 1972. He was an avid collector and pillar of the Australian numismatic community for many years. He was a former president of the NAV and inaugural president of the Numismatic Association of Australia (NAA).
Ray passed away in December 1992 and in 1998 the NAA established the Ray Jewell award in his honour. The Award consists of two divisions, silver for outstanding contribution to Australian numismatics and the Numismatic Association of Australia; and bronze for the most outstanding article published in the Journal of The Numismatic Association of Australia over two consecutive volumes. Volume 7 of the NAA Journal contains an obituary of Ray and in July of each year the NAV honour him with a memorial meeting.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.