WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Rare Victorian Cross on Display at Melbourne MuseumAfter the success of the pop up display of the 1887 5 pound coin at Melbourne Museum last month, the museum has again responded with a short term display of 3 military medals for Anzac Day, including […]
- Melbourne Museum Displays Rare System Mint 1887 £5 ProofTo mark the recent sale in the US of one of only three known specimens of a Sydney Mint Proof £5, the Melbourne Museum have put their example on display. The coin sold by Heritage Auctions for […]
- Stamp & Coin Dealer opens retail store in Melbourne’s Eastern SuburbsMelbourne based 21st Century Auctions have opened a new retail and trade counter selling coins, stamps, postcards, catalogues, albums and accessories. They’re based at Suite 1, 1174 Burwood […]
- IAG to sell Klaus Ford estate in 2021Those of you that have attended ANDA fairs over the years will be familiar with these distinctive holders. Queensland based IAG have recently announced that they are offering the estate of Melbourne […]
- Melbourne Gains a New Coin FairSome of the people behind the successful Northern Suburbs Coin Fair, currently held at the Moonee Ponds Bowling Club, are branching out and have set up a new fair out East in Ringwood. The inaugural […]
- December 2020 MeetingOn Friday 11th December eased Covid-19 restrictions in Melbourne meant that NAV members, and their partners, were able to gather in person for the first time since February. In all eighteen people […]
Next Numismatic Event
Fri21Jul20177:45 pmCeltic Club, 320 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
NAV Ray Jewell Memorial Meeting
Ray Jewell was born in Elsternwick, Melbourne in August 1972. He was an avid collector and pillar of the Australian numismatic community for many years. He was a former president of the NAV and inaugural president of the Numismatic Association of Australia (NAA).
Ray passed away in December 1992 and in 1998 the NAA established the Ray Jewell award in his honour. The Award consists of two divisions, silver for outstanding contribution to Australian numismatics and the Numismatic Association of Australia; and bronze for the most outstanding article published in the Journal of The Numismatic Association of Australia over two consecutive volumes. Volume 7 of the NAA Journal contains an obituary of Ray and in July of each year the NAV honour him with a memorial meeting.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held on-line via Zoom and in person (Covid restrictions permitting) at Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St., Kensington, just a short walk from Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line and the No. 57 Tram. Meetings start at 7:45PM and typically run for a couple of hours.