WHAT IS NUMISMATICS?
Numismatics is the study and collecting of:
Coins - ancient, medieval, modern, proofs
Paper money / bank notes
Medals / Medallions / Medalets - often commemorative
Tokens - privately issued (ie unofficial) substitutes for money
Various related areas
- Morwell Numismatic Society October Newsletter[…]
- Numismatic Literature Sale[…]
- NAA Stokes & Sons ProjectThe Numismatic Association of Australia (NAA) have started posting details of the dies used by Melbourne based manufacturer Stokes & Sons in the production of value-added tokens. These […]
- New Sponsor & Discount OfferVictorian based coin dealer COMMCOINAGE is offering members of the NAV and the Melbourne, Geelong and Morwell Numismatic Societies a 5% Discount on all new, non-licenced* Royal Australian Mint and […]
- 2018 Melbourne Money ExpoOn the weekend of the 18th & 19th of August people from all over Victoria (and beyond) descended on the Melbourne Park Function Centre to add to their collections. Collectors of all ages were in […]
- New Book: Coins Minted by the Knights in MaltaMelbourne based author John Gatt has produced a magnificent new publication on the coins of the Knights of Malta. The book is a project of passion that has taken John twelve years spent researching […]
Next Numismatic Event
A part of its objectives to promote numismatics the NAV has published articles in one form or other since its foundation in 1946. A Brief History of Our Publication, an article, which appeared in the 2013 edition of the Australian Numismatist, gives an overview of the Numismatic Association of Victoria's publications since its inception through to 2013. In 2013 the Australian Numismatist ceased to be an annual publication and became a quarterly publication, until it was superseded by the Victorian Numismatic Journal in 2016.
The Victorian Numismatic Journal
The Victorian Numismatic Journal (VNJ) is published quarterly and is a joint publication of the NAV, the Geelong Numismatic Society, the Melbourne Numismatic Society, and the Morwell Numismatic Society.
The VNJ was first issued in 2016 and is distributed to all members of the participating societies, as well as copies being supplied to other Australasian numismatic organisations and our sponsors.
All issues of the VNJ can be viewed online by members of the participating numismatic societies from the Member Page.
The Australian Numismatist
The Australian Numismatist was the official name of the journal of the Numismatic Association of Victoria. It was published monthly until 1974, then bimonthly from 1975 to 1981, annually from 1982 to 2013, and quarterly in 2014 and 2015.
The Australian Numismatist, Contents 1981 - 2013 is an article that appeared in the 2013 edition of the journal and details all of the articles published during the time that the journal was an annual publication.
Since 2016, the Australian Numismatist was superseded by the Victorian Numismatic Journal (see above). We are pleased to provide a number of back issues of the Australian Numismatist in PDF format available online to members. These can be accessed from the Member Page.
From 1981 to 2017 the NAV issued a quarterly newsletter which contained news items of interest, the forward syllabus and reports of meetings. From 2014 this newsletter was folded in to the quarterly edition of the Australian Numismatist. The final seven issues of the newsletter are available as PDF files to members, and can be accessed from the Member Page.
Come to our Monthly Meetings
We meet every month of the year except January. From February to November we meet on the third Friday of the month and in December on the second Friday of the month.
Meetings are held at Level 1, 420-424 William Street, West Melbourne, just a short walk from Flagstaff Station, and start at 7:45PM.